3/31/2011

Movie Review: Limitless (2011)


In Limitless, the films posits that we only use 20% of our brain's potential. But what if we can unlock the remaining 80%? The catch is that you can tap your unlimited brain power using an unproven drug.

Bradley Cooper stars as Eddie Mora, a struggling writer who resorts to a clear pill called NZT to turn his career and life around. He soon finds out that the success he achieved has a steep price-- his life and his fiancée (played by Abbie Cornish) are jeopardized when a dangerous and powerful group wants the drug.

There's a great build-up of tension and director Neil Burger has uses pretty interesting shots to portray the effect of the drug on Eddie. While the story is an allegory to drug addiction and the pressure to excel professionally, I must say there's very little redeeming value in the end. I also felt there was an unnecessary plot break when the film abruptly stymies the tension on the physiological effect of NZT.

Limitless is a pretty enjoyable thriller that's very timely. Young professionals will be able to relate to Bradley Cooper's character, but there's very little takeaway. If you ask me Limitless squanders a good opportunity to reinforce the ill effects of drugs.


Rating: 3/5


Technorati:


--

Speaking of drugs, I've created a public service website for Filipinos. It can be found at http://drugmule.info
Related Posts with Thumbnails